• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead of OD

i wonder what it is about acting and being a musician that pushes so many of these guys into all of this. those two professions seem to have an awfully high rate of use/abuse.

The news and media surrounding "stars". You don't read about "stars" living normal lives on TMZ nor do you read about your neighbor who has the same amount of drugs in their home.

i wonder what it is about acting and being a musician that pushes so many of these guys into all of this. those two professions seem to have an awfully high rate of use/abuse.

Availability must play a factor. Also, having the income to allow the purchasing of thousands of dollars worth of narcotics on a semi-regular basis..

I think you may be approaching this from the wrong angle, honestly. I don't think being an actor does that to a person.

That would be like asking why being a comedian makes some of them such headcases.

How would you approach it? Serious question.

When celebrities die, we often hear stories about their insecurities, sometimes to ridiculous degrees. It seems to affect artistic professions significantly, including your example of comedians. While I'm sure it also happens to accountants, bakers, and landscapers, and while publicity is definitely a lesser part of their professions than actors and musicians, I really think there's something that makes it more prevalent/common to the personalities that are involved in the arts.

The biggest thing about the entertainment industry, guys like PSH made tons of money and had quite a bit of down time.  He isn't one of those guys that came out with four movies a year.  Lot bigger risk to fall deep into drugs when A) you can afford them and B) you can do them without consequence (aside from death of course).

I bet he would have given up everything to get rid of the addiction.

The tragic thing is, to get rid of addiction, you don't have to give up anything. All you have to do is give yourself the gift of freedom from life.

I believe PSH had a history of molestation/abuse in his youth. It appears he was still battling those demons.

I don't know, I think it is personality types.  Artsy types tend to yield more toward a certain type of drug abuse. 

Well typically once you have had a history with the stuff the addiction never really goes away, and being in the spotlight provides disposible funds and thus easier access. Add a history of abuse and never shaking the past or getting over those feelings, and you have a dangerous combination of a scarred mind looking to forget and the means to justify drug use. Are the reasons validly justifyable? Absolutely not, but in a drug users mind they are.

As I've gotten older I've tended to side on the "admit there will always be drug users, stop battling against it just to criminilize those who are sick" theory. IMO I'd rather have criminals like theives, murderers, and molesters behind bars. I think if we stopped hiding behind drugs and their mysterious glamourization we'd see not only a signifigant decrease in use and murders associated with its trafficking, but an increase in responsible use creating a safer more controlled way for drug users to participate recreationally, and to eventually get help and quit.

I'm not typically one to be in favor of increasing public funding due to the incredible ineptitude of those who are in charge of creating programs and spending it, but for something like this, IMO as a society these types of problems are ones we should have solved a long time ago.

Edited by CaliAngel