• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels made offer to Garza

SoWhat

@Ken_Rosenthal: Sources: #Angels offered Garza a four-year deal for about the same $50M he received from #Brewers around time of the winter meetings…

@Ken_Rosenthal: …#Angels owner Arte Moreno “didn’t leave (offer) out there long,” one source said. Moreno typically requires quick decisions from FAs.

Edited by SoWhat

I'm sure they knew it was likely but I actually like that mentality of saying here it is and take it or leave it and decide soon.  If it works out you grab a pitcher early and if not you move on to other free agents.  Also I'm with Scott and glad he didn't end up here. 

It also keeps teams from playing you just to get a better offer from someone else.

I was lukewarm at best on Garza, not that upset he wound up in Milwaukee.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

I'm sure they knew it was likely but I actually like that mentality of saying here it is and take it or leave it and decide soon.  If it works out you grab a pitcher early and if not you move on to other free agents.  Also I'm with Scott and glad he didn't end up here. 

Completely agree with this

Wonder why the Angels wouldn't have put the offer back on the table in recent weeks.

Because they had already given him a take it or leave it offer. Good business to bargain that way,  so as not to be sucked into a bidding war. Arte seems to be a no nonsense guy when it comes to dealing with agents.

Forget some of the bad decisions for a minute and see what was accomplished by this. The Angels showed strength by sticking to their offer. Refused to get in a bidding war after making a fair offer. The same approach was used with Grienke and texeria. Both were made fair and competitive offers. When these others turned down the offers the Angels comment if any was just that they made a fair offer. No bullshit slamming of the players because they signed for more elsewhere. This was as much for the agents of the players as it was future negotiations for future FAs. Any player considering the Angels will know where they stand from the beginning. I don't really recall any players bad mouthing how the front office does business since Arte took over. Ok I seem to remember Torii talking a little smack after we signed Josh. But at that time I thought Josh at 25mil was better deal than Hunter at the 20 or so he wanted.

The Angels will not be a pawn in order to drive up a players price. I think this is as much Arte as anyone. I remember back when Boras tried to hold the Angels to the fire after they drafted Weaver. As I recall he wanted to sign here and did so a days or so before he would have gone back into the draft. In fact weaver was only available to the Angels because most teams didn't think they could sign him with Boras as his agent. Then again I could be imagining this whole scenario.

Forget some of the bad decisions for a minute and see what was accomplished by this. The Angels showed strength by sticking to their offer. Refused to get in a bidding war after making a fair offer. The same approach was used with Grienke and texeria. Both were made fair and competitive offers. When these others turned down the offers the Angels comment if any was just that they made a fair offer. No bullshit slamming of the players because they signed for more elsewhere. This was as much for the agents of the players as it was future negotiations for future FAs. Any player considering the Angels will know where they stand from the beginning. I don't really recall any players bad mouthing how the front office does business since Arte took over. Ok I seem to remember Torii talking a little smack after we signed Josh. But at that time I thought Josh at 25mil was better deal than Hunter at the 20 or so he wanted.

The Angels will not be a pawn in order to drive up a players price. I think this is as much Arte as anyone. I remember back when Boras tried to hold the Angels to the fire after they drafted Weaver. As I recall he wanted to sign here and did so a days or so before he would have gone back into the draft. In fact weaver was only available to the Angels because most teams didn't think they could sign him with Boras as his agent. Then again I could be imagining this whole scenario.

This has been SOP, since the Colon signing...  The Angels have a history of coming in with their best offer and saying, either you want to play for us or you don't and giving a guy a certain window to sign.  It's also why people think the Angels and Boras aren't the best of buddies..

I rather like that the Halos operate the way they do.

Arte doesn't necessarily like or dislike Boras.  He sees him as a shrewd businessman and respects him for that but is also aware that Boras' presence often costs him more money out of his own pocket.  But Boras never steers any players away from signing with the Angels.  Boras owns season tickets and frequents the games because he loves the game of baseball and is local.  But Boras being as shrewd as he is doesn't give the Angels anything of a hometown discount.  

Dipoto by nature is just an extremely positive guy and harbors no ill-will toward Boras.  Reagins however, seemed to take a lot of what Boras said and did personally. He was never the type to lash out at him in the media because he is a private guy, but if given the choice he'd rather not discuss anything with Boras and I think that's how Arte felt to a certain degree.  

This has been SOP, since the Colon signing...  The Angels have a history of coming in with their best offer and saying, either you want to play for us or you don't and giving a guy a certain window to sign.  It's also why people think the Angels and Boras aren't the best of buddies..

I rather like that the Halos operate the way they do.

Boras is the king of stringing teams along so he can use them as leverage.  It started for the Halos with the original Weaver signing and then went really bad when they lost out on Teixeira as the halos were just a pawn to bring the Yankees offer up.  Then he slow rolled them with Beltre. 

He gets the most for his clients, but he certainly doesn't make a lot of friends playing teams back and forth over and over. 

But with him you know what you are in for.   If you can't hack it, then don't bother.

Boras is the king of stringing teams along so he can use them as leverage.  It started for the Halos with the original Weaver signing and then went really bad when they lost out on Teixeira as the halos were just a pawn to bring the Yankees offer up.  Then he slow rolled them with Beltre. 

Yup, there was some animosity over the Tex situation IIRC, but it's like you say -- team's know what to expect with Boras.