• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Michael Young and Lance Berkman

Tank

Strange how skewed your view is of Berkman over Young.  I wouldn't be so flip about Michael Young and what he accomplished in his career.

Berkman played 1 more year than Young and still had 470 hits less (6 seasons of 200+ hits by Young).  Besides OBP and homerun totals, Young is equal to or better than Berkman in every way.  So, in my opinion, the comparison is every bit real and a worthwhile conversation to have.

Both class acts.  It was fun to watch them both play.

So besides not hitting for more power and getting on base more, they were equal? That doesn't make any sense considering getting on base and hitting for power are the 2 most important things as a hitter. 

Young was an above average hitter and piss poor defender in his career. He had a totally fine career but he's nowhere near HOF worthy. His career wRC+ of 104, which accounts for park factors and the league factors, says he was 4% better than the league average hitter in his career. Factor that in with his defense and you're looking at an above average player, nothing more. 

Meanwhile, Berkman put up a 144 wRC+, got on base above a .400 clip and slugged .537. He's the 2nd best switch hitter of all time, posting better offensive numbers than Chipper Jones. I'm on the fence with Berkman making it but he has a WAY more deserving case than Young and it's really not close. 

Edited by Angels_Baseball

So besides not hitting for more power and getting on base more, they were equal? That doesn't make any sense considering getting on base and hitting for power are the 2 most important things as a hitter. 

Young was an above average hitter and piss poor defender in his career. He had a totally fine career but he's nowhere near HOF worthy. His career wRC+ of 104, which accounts for park factors and the league factors, says he was 4% better than the league average hitter in his career. Factor that in with his defense and you're looking at an above average player, nothing more. 

Meanwhile, Berkman put up a 144 wRC+, got on base above a .400 clip and slugged .537. He's the 2nd best switch hitter of all time, posting better offensive numbers than Chipper Jones. I'm on the fence with Berkman making it but he has a WAY more deserving case than Young and it's really not close. 

+1, agree it's not close, and yes Berkman was a Killer "B" played with Bags/Biggio 6 and 7 years respectively.

Quite the opinion you have there. Why does Berkman deserve a consideration more than Young?

Is just not clear to me what Berkman did that puts him over the top.

Berkman only played one year for Texas while Young played there for 13 seasons.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Other than hits Berkman's career stats line-up closely with Jim Rice another borderline HOF'er. If he gets in it will be the veteran's committee...less than 2,000 career hits will be the sticking point IMO.

Berkman is going to get hit with the argument that he wasn't ever the best or second best player on his own team much less among the best players in MLB...  The other Killer B's will likely keep Berkman out of the HOF.  He was also a bit of an asshole with the press... when you consider his statistical clone Albert Belle didn't sniff the HOF, I think Berkman may be SOL.

Anyway, you're not allowed to get into the HOF as the third best player on your team unless your team was the Yankees. 

Edited by Inside Pitch