AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Yeah, kicking the wall. I don't want to kick the wall anymore, jam my toe. We call it toe jam (laughs). Pretty bad."- Torii Hunter on hurting his toe at Safeco Field
- (Added by: Chonito)

GM Jerry Dipoto Interview with AngelsWin.com with transcript.
Moderators: tomsred, Adam, IEBRUIN, Bruce Nye, Kurt Swanson, Blarg, mancini79

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels DailyMessage format

Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-24 1:55 PM (#1927587)
Subject: GM Jerry Dipoto Interview with AngelsWin.com with transcript.

Hall of Famer

http://angelswinblog.blogspot.com/2013/01/los-angeles-angels-gm-jerry-dipoto.html?m=0

A must watch... Wait till part two of this 38 minute interview.

** Transcript has been added below **

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tyler
Posted 2013-01-24 2:02 PM (#1927599 - in reply to #1927587)
Subject: Re: GM Jerry Dipoto Interview with AngelsWin.com

Hall of Fame

Juicy.
Wallerrrr
Posted 2013-01-24 2:03 PM (#1927601 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Voluptuous
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-24 2:32 PM (#1927624 - in reply to #1927599)

Hall of Famer

Tyler - 2013-01-24 2:02 PM

Juicy.

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/1/9/6/9/5/9/3/juicy-sweatpants-80649519047.jpeg

Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-24 2:41 PM (#1927636 - in reply to #1927587)
Subject: RE: GM Jerry Dipoto Interview with AngelsWin.com

Hall of Famer

But yeah guys, these are the types of things that we will be doing for 20-25 bucks a year going forward.
ukyah
Posted 2013-01-24 3:48 PM (#1927691 - in reply to #1927587)

San Bernadino 66'ers

i have such bro-love for dipoto it's ridiculous. i just love listening to somebody experienced, intelligent and passionate discuss their subject. it inspires me in my own passions and efforts. i hope arte realizes he's got one of the 5 best gm's in baseball under his wing.

the angels are in such better organizational health now than they were 15 months ago, although most of it is not readily or easily viewable by the fan.
Dave Saltzer
Posted 2013-01-24 4:00 PM (#1927700 - in reply to #1927691)

All-Star

ukyah - 2013-01-24 3:48 PM

i have such bro-love for dipoto it's ridiculous. i just love listening to somebody experienced, intelligent and passionate discuss their subject. it inspires me in my own passions and efforts. i hope arte realizes he's got one of the 5 best gm's in baseball under his wing.

the angels are in such better organizational health now than they were 15 months ago, although most of it is not readily or easily viewable by the fan.

One of the things that we like to do at AngelsWin.com is to show as much behind the curtain as we can for the fans.

I agree with your observations about Jerry Dipoto. He KNOWS his stuff. He lives baseball. He is very accessible and we are very lucky to have such a great relationship with the team and the Front Office that we can get these types of interviews.

I will be sharing a lot of what I learned from Jerry in upcoming articles.
Troll Daddy
Posted 2013-01-24 4:03 PM (#1927705 - in reply to #1927587)

Great work guys! Dipoto needs to dress up his office a little nicer.
mancini79
Posted 2013-01-24 5:58 PM (#1927776 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

There are 2 of these to transcribe?!?!

Should be done with the first one tonight
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-24 6:10 PM (#1927778 - in reply to #1927776)

Hall of Famer

mancini79 - 2013-01-24 5:58 PM

Just one for now. Another one just on stats coming soon, plus Dipoto at fanfest

Thanks a TON Nick.
mrwicked
Posted 2013-01-24 6:25 PM (#1927788 - in reply to #1927778)

Hall of Fame

Chuck Richter - 2013-01-24 6:10 PM

mancini79 - 2013-01-24 5:58 PM

Just one for now. Another one just on stats coming soon, plus Dipoto at fanfest

Thanks a TON Nick.

badass.
another fernet on me nick.
Brian Ilten
Posted 2013-01-24 6:37 PM (#1927790 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

I want that chess set.
Blarg
Posted 2013-01-24 6:55 PM (#1927794 - in reply to #1927790)

Hall of Fame

Is that the Angels draft board up on the screen?
Brian Ilten
Posted 2013-01-24 7:15 PM (#1927797 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Awesome interview. Awesome.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-24 8:30 PM (#1927825 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Famer

Great job, David.

The additional one hour of "off the record" stuff from Jerry Dipoto was AWESOME too!
Halocory22
Posted 2013-01-24 8:33 PM (#1927828 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Awesome interview.
Angels_for_life
Posted 2013-01-24 8:48 PM (#1927835 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

I think JD goes to Yoga to check out the chicks in yoga pants.

Peacful, pfft.
Bruce Nye
Posted 2013-01-24 9:17 PM (#1927848 - in reply to #1927587)

That was great! Dipoto exudes enthusiasm and optimism. I like him a lot!
Scott34
Posted 2013-01-24 9:18 PM (#1927849 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Outstanding job, David.
dochalo
Posted 2013-01-24 9:28 PM (#1927854 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Great job Dave! That was very cool!
HaloU2
Posted 2013-01-24 9:57 PM (#1927868 - in reply to #1927835)

All-Star

I could listen to JD talk about baseball for a long spell. Very interesting to have that kind of accessibility and candor. Great interview. Kudos to all involved.
ettin
Posted 2013-01-24 11:01 PM (#1927899 - in reply to #1927587)

All-Star

Nicely done David! You really get to see Dipoto's down-to-earth attitude and mentality. He's a great conversationalist!
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-25 12:33 AM (#1927908 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Famer

So what do you all think about Jerry Dipoto's lineup?

Aybar at #2, Bourjos at 8, Iannetta at 9.

Hmmmm
mancini79
Posted 2013-01-25 12:35 AM (#1927910 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Ok, took some time to get the transcript, but here it is. I didn't have time to proof read and probably butchered some names.
mancini79
Posted 2013-01-25 12:37 AM (#1927911 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Dave: This is David Saltzer from Angelswin.com speaking with Angels General Manager Jerry Dipoto. Jerry, how are you doing today?

JD: Outstanding.

Dave: Angels fans have been curious to find out about your first year. How it’s gone. We have talked to you a little bit in the past and now have had the off season to look at it some. How do you feel you settled into your role?

JD: Quite well. I’m comfortable with where we are right now, roughly 15 months since coming onboard. We’ve had a lot of change, the baseball operations department specifically, with scouting player development particularly, with a new structure . Scott Servais coming on to oversee those two departments. We’ve got a new international director, a new farm director, a variety of new people in leadership positions throughout the organization. It took a lot of time, 15 months by calendar is not a great deal of time but in baseball it’s dog years. We’ve learned a lot this first year. We’ve had quite a bit of shiftage and personnel within the organization. It took quite a while to get the systems and programs in place that we were comfortable moving forward. I feel we made a great deal of progress.

Dave: Can we talk a little more in depth about that? When you started, you undertook a whole organizational overview of what was working and what was not working. What were some of the strengths you found and what were some of the areas that you counted on tweaking?

JD: The strengths were the quality of talent on the major league field. I said it when I did the introductory press conference when coming onboard with the Angels. But this is a team for in large part that for the last decade has been among the premier teams in Major League Baseball. They average 91 wins a season for a decade, have made six playoffs, won a World Series. It’s a pretty significant degree of achievement, there was a lot of talent on the major league field. It didn’t feel like the major league club was in need of restructuring or rebuilding in order to contend. I think that wound up being accurate. An 89 win season, being in the pennant race until the final week. Unfortunately we weren’t able to see it through, some of that our own fault to tell you the truth. We started the season slow and another lull in August, and I learned from those as well. But we didn’t need to change a great deal about what we were doing at the major league level last year. There weren’t a terrific number of personnel changes and we were just assessing. We did, however, quite of bit to take care of organizationally; scouting player development, front office construction. With the exception of Justin Aunder who is still on as our baseball operation director, who is terrific, the rest of the front office was no longer here. So we had to rebuild that starting with the baseball ops group here in Anaheim then moving on through our satellite positions and people who run the scouting development departments. We restructured all that. We brought in a lot of new people and face in; Scott Servais, Hal Moriss, Matt Klentack, Bobby Scales, Carlos Gomez and I could go on and on. There has been a good deal of change, there’s been a lot of new faces, a lot of energy and creative ideas. If I had to site reasons why the Angels have been so successful and one of the primary attractions, is just the stability of the organization. A stable owner ship, Arte Moreno has been terrific in what he’s given this franchise and what he’s allowed them to do over the course of the last 9-10 years. That stability has allowed us to implement programs and systems and introduce new people. We have a stable group of holdovers that have made it. I don’t want to say a streamless transition, because anytime there’s change it begets discomfort, but in this particular case we were able to overcome that transitional period. By October of this past year I felt we were clicking on all cylinders and moving in the right direction.

Dave: Were you looking for particular skills, or were you somebody like President Lincoln has been described with a wide range of opinions when you were settling your team?

JD: You want to have a wide range. I can’t say that I know a great deal about the history of President Lincoln other than the obvious. But I’ve studied more baseball in my life than Presidential backgrounds, but somewhat familiar with his background.

Dave: In general that he was known for having a cabinet that disagreed with each other and also with him to give him a wide range of opinions on what to do.

JD: That is essentially the way I operate every day. As we built our major league front office and our organization pool of personnel, I prefer the idea of people who disagree, who will create debate, who will find reason to poke a hole in a theory. That stirs conversation, and conversation creates education. We’ve got a group of people that are very strong in their opinions that have a diverse and widespread set of experiences. Whether it be playing experience on the field in the case of Hal Morris or Scott Servais, Bobby Scales or experiences in the administration or legal end of the game. Guys like Mike Klentack, Justin Hollander, Mike LaCosse. With that and with the holdovers, the Bill Stoneman’s, and the new people we brought in like Marcel Lachemann, Tim Schmidt, Larry Corrigan, just a variety of different experiences that covers decades. That not everybody agrees with every subject matter and I think that’s important. As I’ve told many people the day that I hired them, the day that we are going to have to let you go is the day you agree with me, just to agree. We have to find reasons to poke holes in theories and find the right answer rather than just “an” answer.

Dave: You’ve earned quite a reputation amongst some of the fans with your hand written responses. What kind of concerns have you heard from the fans and how you feel your relationship is evolving with them?

JD: I feel like the relationship is evolving well to answer the last question first. The concerns are no different than any other fan base in any other professional sports city. Everybody wants to win. They want to have players they can connect with that will be here for a length of time. I think that’s the fabricate that binds baseball through the years. That historically the game is about the fans. It’s about the fans coming into the ballpark, connecting with the team. The relationship between the fans and the hometown club pre-dates television, pre-dates the internet, pre-dates the news media as we know it today. It was just simply the fans and the players. I would like to facilitate that. Put together a group of players that are here for a length of time, that can operate at a high level. Obviously there are individual players that gain a lot of love from the fans. Obviously for us this offseason was a unique one and there was a large shift in player personnel and we did turn the roster a little bit. And one of the things that was painful for the fans was watching Torii Hunter leave the Angels, watching Dan Haren and Ervin Santana leave the Angels. But at the end of the day what we are trying to do is put the best 25 man club and build the most productive organization over time to sustain a winning environment on the field. I think at the end of the day, in as much as those individual players connect with fans and are so much a part of the fabricate of Angels baseball, the winning teams at the end of the day are what we remember the most. They will be remembered the most romantically and that’s what’s fun. And I love communicating with fans about that connection with the game. When somebody writes to me about the passion they have for baseball or particularly for Angels baseball, I always pick up a pen and write them back.

Dave: Well that’s good to hear. Let’s talk about some of the deals. In your first 15 months, you have signed about over half a billion dollars in contract if you total it all. How does it feel that in one, you have an owner that is committed, and two, what’s it like writing a $250m contract or 125 to Josh Hamilton?

JD: It’s exciting to bring on players like that, that you touched on. None of its possible without Arte Moreno. I don’t know what it’s like to write that check. Arte takes care of that and he has been very giving and allowed we as an organization to go out and be aggressive in seeking and ultimately landing the right players. It’s a thrill to be able to bring player like Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, CJ Wilson to the Angels. But just as importantly it’s fun to draft the 30th rounder who wounds up cranking through your system and arriving in the big leagues and turning into a nice support player in a 25 man roster. It’s a thrill to be involved with the independent or international side. Signing the 16 year old kid out of the Dominican Republic and watching him grow up in a 6 to 8 year period and show up on your field at 24 years old as a grown man. There’s such neat experiences though the baseball development process that you never want to get so jaded that the only way you could feel good about yourself or successful is to bring in an MVP on a giant free agent contract. There are so many ways to find productive players and/or enjoy your job. But those are clearly guys that are on magazine covers, pictures on the walls and those are the guys that stir it out here every day. They are the straw that stirs the drink and we are thrilled to have them. I’m excited to have had the opportunity to have gone through that in my first 15 months on the job and frankly I hope that we are in a position in future year to continue to delivery players like that over time. Whether it be from our own development system or out in the free agent market.

Dave: Are you constantly working to try and layer so that you have those like Albert Pujols, and Josh Hamilton and layers at different salary levels to maintain this for a long period? How much do you balance between winning now versus winning over a decade when trying to look at a free agent?

JD: Both actually. To break down what you just said. We are always trying to create a flow in how our payroll model exists or progresses through the years. That one salary offsets the other. We have a general idea of what our payroll limits will be year to year over time. You’re always concerned most with the idea we are going to be competitive and in a winning mode today. We want to be like that every year. That’s the goal is to be in a position to contend every year. But we are always of the mindset that we want to be able to sustain that. As much as anything, one of the things that was important to us this offseason was to bring in players and continue to build a model that created age disparity. That we had the young and we had the veteran. That we were not allowing ourselves to age before our eyes. Obviously we have gotten more expensive over time as most teams do. But what we don’t want to do is watch our average age climb to the point we are watching a window close. We want to do all we can do to have prime years players who are performing at the peak of their abilities however much they cost. Whether it’s the Albert Pujols’ and Josh Hamilton’s of the world or the 25th man on your roster and balance the age of the club, cost of the club, and your ability to sustain a winning window.

Dave: At the same time, do you look at windows. A lot of commentators talked about how we have Albert Pujols, we have Mike Trout right now and signing Josh Hamilton made a lot of sense to capitalize on that 5 year window where you would have Trout and Pujols in prime years as well as Hamilton in great years so you could really leverage it. Was that something that really factored in as well?

JD: Absolutely. I think the wonders of a guy like Mike Trout is a specific example. Mike will start his 21 year old season this coming year there is no end in sight for what should be his prime years. If his optimum years are ages 26-32 like with most players, I can’t wait to see what they are like if 20 looked the way it looked. The idea of having the extraordinary players, the MVP’s like Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols, in addition to young players like Mike Trout, Mark Trumbo and Peter Bourjos who are still on their 0-3 end of their career who have not yet entered the arbitration system, who balance out our payroll. From a talent perspective, we feel like in between those 2 groups, the Pujols, Hamilton, Weaver, Wilson group and the Trout, Trumbo, Bourjos, Garret Richards, Ernie Frieri group. What makes our team unique and hope makes our team special is those 26-32 year old that exist in the in between. It’s the Howie Kendrick’s, Erick Aybar’s, Aberto Callaspo’s. The guys who often times fly under the radar and real high quality players that nobody gives enough credit for what they do. In particular our middle infield of Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar. The uniqueness of finding those two guys that can handle those positions defensively who are as durable as those two have been and produce offensively the way they produce. It’s not easy to find in today’s industry. We feel fortunate to have those guys as well.

Dave: When you’re looking at that. Many organizations, ourselves included, where Kaleb Cowart is the top prospect, so you often look at their horizon for when they would be ready and looking at the moves you’re doing?

JD: Absolutely. We are in the midst of trying to finalize a contract for Alberto Callaspo that will cover 2013 and 14. One of the attractions in bringing Alberto back for a 2 year stretch it build a bridge toward Kaleb Cowart. We believe in Kaleb, we also believe that he’s among our best prospects and feel like he has the chance to be an everyday or impact player at the big league level. But we also don’t want to undersell what the value of Alberto Callaspo to our present club is. So the idea of building a seamless bridge that will allow our present to connect to our future is too good to pass up. Particularly when you’re talking about a player in his late 20’s still very productive and another who’s 20 years old and not yet started what should be his most productive years of his career.

Dave: You have flexibility with overlapping positions. Part of the attraction of somebody like Mark Trumbo that can play OF or bail Pujols out at 1B. One of the things I’ve noticed is you’ve built a lot of flexibility so you have overlapping pieces in the event injury. Is that a big factor for you?

JD: That was one of the primary goal this offseason. We have many but one of the primary goals this offseason was to create greater depth than we had a year ago. Presently we are not as deep in the minor leagues as we would like to be. That unfortunately takes time to develop as a deep minor league system. But we felt like with guys like Garret Richards, Hank Conger, and Luis Jemenez, we had a variety of players who were in a position to be able to contribute at the major league level. And I’ll throw into that group guys like Nick Maronde and Cole Calhoun but not necessarily ready for everyday positions. So in addition to that group, we took a look in how we could create enough flexibility and usability on our 25 man roster but you could cover yourself within the 25 man roster that you didn’t have to go too deep in your minor league system to access players. Not necessarily for roles, bench support roles, situational rights or lefts in bullpens, more in the case of potential injury. If you got a player, a significant contributor or everyday player, who is injured in the course of the season; those are particular difficult holes to fill unless you have a minor league system that is ready to produce everyday players now. We feel like after Mike Trout graduated to the big leagues, we maybe in a window a year/year in a half away from that next level of everyday player coming. So with Mark Trumbo or Vernon Wells with the idea we could string together Alberto Callaspo. Players that could spell us in a variety of position in the event of injury that was one of the goals this offseason that I feel we accomplished.

Dave: How important is it for you as a General Manager to reach an agreement with a player as opposed to the whole arbitration process?

JD: I can’t say it’s the preference. The preference is to reach an agreement before arbitration, everybody walks away happy. But the arbitration is there for a reason. It’s there for the club, it’s there for the player. If need be, we go through arbitration to strike the best deal we can strike in favor of the Angels. But you want to be fair to every player and acknowledge what they’ve accomplished and compensate him for what he’s accomplished. But we are in a pretty good position right now, we just have one arbitration eligible player left to take care of before opening day. We were able to come to an agreement with each of our players last year and did not have to go through the process. In an ideal world you could wrap it up before opening day or before the arbitration cases are heard in February, I don’t know that will be the case this time. If not, the process is there for a reason and we’ll use it.

Dave: What’s your advice to fans for surviving the offseason? What’s the craziest thing you’ve heard and what advice do you have for fans on how to survive the hot stove season?

JD: The beauty of baseball is that it never goes away. The hot stove has always been there. You get to surf there with the rumors. I would say don’t believe everything you read.

Dave: Is there one that stands out like “There is no way we’re doing that.”?

JD: I can’t say there have been any this year. I can say there were a few last year. We were wildly connected to just about every free agent in the market last year. There were a couple of guys last year that we had made offers to at least by report on the internet and we never even made contact with that player or their representative. We haven’t even discussed them internally. You’ll hear a lot of that information but the beauty of the baseball hot stove it’s just a water cooler talk. It’s being able to talk about the trade that might make your club better or put them over the top. It’s whatever you think as a fan. The wonderful thing about baseball is that there is so much subjectivity and how we view the game. Everybody has an opinion because most people have done it on some level, whether it be little league, high school, college or the professional level. We’ve all done it, we all love it, everybody has got an opinion. I think it’s fun to kick around.

Dave: In Moneyball, Billy Beane just picks up the phone and in 5 minutes is able to make a trade. How do you go about really making a trade and are there crazy stories like that that happen?

JD: I haven’t gone through the 5 minute trade yet. Trades generally take time and are hard to do. Each organization has it’s own criteria, what they are looking for. And this is from the hot stove to the practical application. At the end of the day, you may have players that don’t necessarily fit your roster or that you would be willing to move. It doesn’t necessarily mean that one of the other 29 teams has more favor for that player that would like him in a trade. It’s not quite like trading baseball cards when we were young. There are health records involved, there are agents and salaries to consider and there are positional fits and needs for other clubs. Typically you’ll make contact with a club, you’ll suggest a player or players that you have interest in. You asked earlier how I stay busy during the day. We’ll stay in constant contact with clubs just to know what they are looking for, what they’re trying to do. The schedule will kick up and slow down during the course of a year. You know in March and in April then again in July and then again as we head towards October and November that there’s going to be very intensive discussion times with other clubs. Often times you lay the ground work for doing a trade through 15 conversations prior to when you start talking about that specific deal.

Dave: Do you ever use the media or sent message through the media trying to put a feeler out. Have your or been the recipient of a message that way?

JD: I was the recipient of communication through the media as player fairly frequently in my early years. But in these rules I opt to be upfront as I can. We are very open with our players, we discuss what their roles are, how to anticipate or prepare for the coming season. Even when we get down to instances where the player is actively being shopped or moved. We will openly communicate with the players whenever possible or wherever it’s appropriate. They are human beings, they are grown men who have the right to understand what they are going to be asked to do day to day or where they may be asked to do it.

Dave: Looking at what some of your players are doing right now, Mark Trumbo and other’s having a new workout regiment. How much do you encourage players to go out and seek that? What kind of latitude does the club have and how much feedback you want back to the club?

JD: It’s constant. The feedback and communication with the players even through the offseason is constant. Particularly over the last 10 or 15 years in the game there’s always some new type of work out regiment, new type of guru or way to prepare. Right now the hot thing is yoga. You got a lot of guys into yoga and I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It promotes flexibility. I’ve done it myself and it’s very peaceful. I wish I had more time to do it. But at the end of the day each guy is going to have a different take or slant. Adam Nevala, our training staff, Lou Yocum, our medical staff are in constant communication with the players. I would get a daily report from Adam where our players are physically, what they are doing to prepare and essentially has turned into a 12 month a year preparation and or readiness to play. Our guys are going to come into spring training and 99.9% of them will are going to be ready to go as if it were opening day of the regular season as opposed to many years ago when they go ready in spring.

Dave: Earlier you talked a little bit about the art of the deal. Where did you learn the art of the deal, the business part of that? Some have heard that Mr Carpino has played a pivotal role and Mr Moreno has been very instrumental with Josh Hamilton and Albert Pujols. How do you go about designing how you approach a deal as well as the financial aspect?

JD: Every deal is a little bit different. Some deals are a little bit more complicated than others. Some deals are a lot more expensive than others. You can go from a 6 year free agent signing or picking up an independent league player for $3k buy out price from a team in the Atlantic league to signing Albert Pujols to a 10 year contract with a personal services agreement on the back. Each one of those deals is going to require a different level of participation. But everything we do from and organizational standpoint we included everybody. And that goes for me and Matt G
Klintack, Scott Servais, to John Carpino who’s the club president to Arte who’s the club owner, to Mike Scioscia and the major league staff downstairs, to each of our individual scouts and coordinators and the minor league levels. We incorporate anybody. Just as an example, we have Jeff Cirillo on our pro staff as a scout and Jeff played along in a successful major league career, played with a number of different teams and with a lot of different players. Just recently we’ve tapped into Jeff for his impression of players that he may have played with along the way in Milwaukee or Minnesota, or Colorado and how they’re wired from an internal perspective. You can assess outward talent, you can’t always assess how that player is going to fit in your clubhouse or how he may affect your chemistry. So the more research you can do in putting a deal together, the better. Often times as you’re working through some of the larger deals, those are deals Arte Moreno has suggested it and said it best. Those are deals that are striking some sort of partnership with the player. We are equally as invested in the Angels success as the player’s success and that player should feel the same way. I think it’s pivotal that Arte’s involved when you’re talking about a player you’re committing to for that length of time. At the end of it, he is the one that signs off on everything that we do. And for him to be involved in the biggest deals we do is paramount to our success.

Dave: Looking at last season, were you working in parallel with Hamilton and Grienke, or were they sequential?

JD: Those actually turned out to be sequential. But at the end of the day we are running on parallel tracks with so many players, so many deals, so many trade discussions every day that you’d be stunned if you saw the actual volume. We touch base with dozens of free agents that we never actually engaged with from a dollars and cents negotiation perspective. You’ll go through so many discussions with teams about potential trades that never come to fruition or never gets off the ground. Some is real concept, some is practical application. And in the case of Hamilton/Greinke, that particular episode turned out to be sequential where we were engaged with both at the same time but the dollar and cents negotiation never got off the ground with Zach because of the timing of it and our dollar and cents negotiation was launched and sewn up in a 7 day stretch of time. But we were engaged with him for closer to 3 weeks. Those necessarily weren’t overlapping but often times they are.

Dave: Two things I notice with the pitching staff you assembled; One , you went with more fly ball type pitchers. Was that designed to take advantage of this incredible OF defense we are going to see or coincidence?

JD: Yes, on the former. We went out and took a look at what we do well. We have a fairly pitcher friendly ballpark that generally treats fly balls well. I believe we have a very rangy and athletic OF with Bourjos and Trout and Hamilton we should be able to cover a good deal of the OF grass. So we felt the player or pitcher that best accentuated our strengths might be the fly ball guy that threw strikes, did not allow too many free passes. We have a very good IF defense with Pujols, Aybar, Kendrick and Callaspo but our OF defense is special and really fit the ballpark. With what was available on the market, you’ve got your groundball guy, you’ve got your fly ball guy, you’ve got the guy that does both, and you’ve got the strikeout pitcher. It’s very difficult to find strikeout pitchers that get groundballs, they don’t grow on trees. It’s very difficult to find fly ball pitchers that strike people out because they’re not usually readily available. Those are typically the higher strikeout pitchers in baseball. Where you’re getting something in the 8-9 K per game rate. Thes are difficult animals to find. They are typically sewn up to long term contracts. The pitcher that was most readily available on this market this year was the steady strike throwing fly ball pitcher that are going to give up some that fly out of the ballpark from time to time due to their own style. But if that’s what is available on the market and fits your ballpark and accentuates the strength of your club and happens to come what we think is generally affordable rate, it seems all the planets are lining up for you to access exactly what you’re looking for.

Dave: The second thing I noticed is that you brought some local guys. Was that coincidence or by design?

JD: In the beginning I think it was coincidence. In the case of Ryan Mason it was by design because it was a choice of his to come here. I do think he could have done better from a financial perspective in this market going out and seeking an opportunity elsewhere. But he was committed to playing here with the Angels and were able to work out something in that regard. But as it started to pile up, Tommy Hanson was almost accidentally. We really didn’t realize he was from the Riverside area because he had moved away. I can’t say it was by design in the beginning but at the end of the day if you have two equal animals but one of them grew up 20 minutes from here and is invested in the Angels, grew up with an Angels hat, Angels gear in the closet, there is something really unique. We’ll use Ryan Madson as an example. There is something really unique and endearing about the guy who grew up rooting for the team and gets to play for that team. I feel like that guy is going to run through a wall to make sure that this organization is successful as it can be, and that’s important.

Dave: Are there any particular stats you use when you are trying to evaluate who to focus on? Are there any unparticular that stand out in your mind?

JD: Absolutely. I think it’s a case by case type of study. The obvious are for pitchers, hit rate is very important. The less hits you give up, the better off you’re going to be in general. The walk rate is equally if not more important, throwing the ball over the plate amounts for a lot. Strikeout Rate, you want to see if players can miss bats. Very difficult to find somebody that can manage all three of those. Not give up a lot of hits, strikeout a lot of them and not walk very many. They are typically All Stars or on the way to the Hall of Fame. But you can find individual pitchers that can do one or more of those things particularly well. As an example in this free agent market, Joe Blanton was the premium strike thrower. There is a guy who throws the ball over the plate and has consistently done that over the course of his existence in the major leagues. Last year ranked top 5 in best walk rate. For us that was a premium attraction for him. Again, to capitalize on our ballpark, our defense, and believe he will do very well here. Tommy Hanson has a very good strikeout rate, always has. Tommy doesn’t have the walk rate that Joe has. If Tommy were able to copy Joe’s propensity for throwing the ball over the plate in addition to his own ability to strike people out would be dealing with a much different animal at this stage in his career. But each one of those guys has something they do particularly well and I think the four veteran players in the rotation; Weaver, Wilson, Vargas and Blanton, all 4 of those guys have shown the ability to go out and chew up in the neighborhood or great than 200 IP in a season. That’s a pivotal number for me. The further you could get into a game, now you allow the changes that we made in our bullpen to be impact changes rather than just adding more firemen to the crew.

Dave: So what you are most excited about for 2013?

JD: Just watching how the depth plays out. We added enough depth to this club that I feel like we are flexible at a variety of different positions. While we don’t have a variety of household names on our 12 man pitching staff, I think we will surprise people on what we do from a club perspective and that’s the most important thing to us. And too see what happens with the top half or flow of our 9 man lineup with Mike Trout leading off and then the dynamic of Pujols and Hamilton and Trumbo hitting in the middle. When you can lineup a club that has Chris Iannetta hitting 9th, it’s not bad.

Dave: How do you see Houston joining the AL West affecting the divisional race?

JD: It’s just another team and another game. You have to go out and win. I’ve had the ability to see the Astros a lot in recent years having been in the National League prior to last year. The Astros are in a down period in their existence. I’ve learned for too often in too many years in this game to forsake anybody’s ability to come up and bite you. Every great player is going to have a thorn in their side and it’s going to be a guy you’ve never heard of. Every modest player is going to have the number of a future Hall of Famer that just couldn’t figure him out. If you go back and look at the win/loss % of teams in given years, even the dominate teams have someone on their schedule that give them a hard time. I’ll say this about the Astros, they are going to be the thorn in somebody’s side this year and our goal is to make sure it’s not us.

Dave: A little on the lighter side. How is your family settled into Southern California and what do you like to do outside of the ballpark?

JD: We work so many hours in a day we shifted over here my family moved in toward the end of May last year. We’ve had a great time and living near the coast. We really enjoy our time here. The hours away from the ballpark are so limited. I’ll get to the ballpark at 8:30 -9 and run through an off season night where I get home about 7pm. During the season I get home about 1am. So the days run particularly long and there is always something going on, but the wonderful thing about this game is just like being a fan. It’s very family friendly and a very interactive game. My wife and children can come to the game and sit and talk. My son can come for the day and go down and wonder around the cages and just watch some major league batting practice. Those are great perks that many people don’t get exposed to that allow my family to enjoy this as a group event rather than just my job.

Dave: Seeing how Southern California is an entertainment Mecca, have you been able to take advantage of some concerts, bands, etc?

JD: My hobby’s baseball, my job’s baseball. When I leave here I just enjoy spending time with my family and whatever they want to do. If it’s enjoying going to the movies, we do that frequently. We enjoy eating out. We have had some chance to see some shows, concerts. But nothing regular. I’m excited about going to see the Ducks. I like going to watch a live hockey game. I’m in about a 10 day window where I can pick up 2 games before our season starts then it’s goodnight.

Dave: Is there anything else you would like to tell Angels fans or Angelswin.com?

JD: I think so. First of all I appreciate the support. The fact that Angelswin is so interested in what we do every day and as much the fans are interested in the product on the field. I think it’s intriguing that somebody is interested in how we put it together and why we think the way we think in a given circumstance. I wish I could be the Wizard of Oz and take you behind the curtain on everything we do, but where it’s appropriate we are very open to it. You guys have been great and hope you are as excited about this season coming up as we are because the 25 guys we have running out there, the management and staff are excited about this team. I know Arte is excited about this team and just hope we can keep them healthy and run through 162 and see where we are come October.

Dave: We are looking forward to that. Thank you so much for you time today.

JD: No problem Dave.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-25 8:57 AM (#1927982 - in reply to #1927587)
Subject: RE: GM Jerry Dipoto Interview with AngelsWin.com with transcript.

Hall of Famer

^^^^GREAT JOB MANCINI^^^^
Dave Saltzer
Posted 2013-01-25 9:10 AM (#1927995 - in reply to #1927910)

All-Star

mancini79 - 2013-01-25 12:35 AM

Ok, took some time to get the transcript, but here it is. I didn't have time to proof read and probably butchered some names.

Wow! Better than the interview is seeing it typed up like that! GREAT JOB MANCINI!!!
Wallerrrr
Posted 2013-01-25 10:22 AM (#1928044 - in reply to #1927587)
Subject: Re: GM Jerry Dipoto Interview with AngelsWin.com with transcript.

Hall of Fame

Awesome job Dave and Nick....great stuff!
LightTheHalo
Posted 2013-01-25 3:42 PM (#1928306 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

There really wasn't anything I would consider a dodge in there; he was extremely candid about everything. Great job!
Jammer36
Posted 2013-01-25 6:31 PM (#1928377 - in reply to #1927587)

Arkansas Travelers

Great interview! Very insightful, so glad we have him on board as GM
worldofx
Posted 2013-01-26 12:45 AM (#1928467 - in reply to #1927587)

Big League Angels

Thanks for doing this.
ukyah
Posted 2013-01-26 1:39 AM (#1928470 - in reply to #1928306)

San Bernadino 66'ers

LightTheHalo - 2013-01-25 3:42 PM

There really wasn't anything I would consider a dodge in there; he was extremely candid about everything. Great job!

that's one of my favorite qualities about him. there was a point in one reply where he said something to the effect of, "i wish we could tell you everything we do behind the scenes, but i can't do that.", which was a refreshing and open response.
tajik_buc
Posted 2013-01-26 6:11 AM (#1928476 - in reply to #1927587)

great interview. And Chuck, stumbled across this site last year, Vent Threads are one of the funniest things on the internet. Gladly pay $20-$25 for these types of interviews and the vent threads
Poozy01
Posted 2013-01-26 6:37 AM (#1928477 - in reply to #1927587)

All-Star

would have liked to see him go more in depth about the poor state of the minor league system right now.

Edited by Poozy01 2013-01-26 6:41 AM
rick99gtp
Posted 2013-01-26 6:54 AM (#1928478 - in reply to #1927587)

Big League Angels

I enjoyed the interview. Thanks for sharing.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-26 7:43 AM (#1928482 - in reply to #1928477)

Hall of Famer

Poozy01 - 2013-01-26 6:37 AM

would have liked to see him go more in depth about the poor state of the minor league system right now.

He did, off the record. Even more juicy stuff was in the behind the scenes interview not in the video.

But for that particular topic, it would be like telling us something we already know.
ELEVEN
Posted 2013-01-26 7:59 AM (#1928484 - in reply to #1927587)

Hall of Fame

Wow, that was fantastic.

Remind me not to bitch about fees later.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-26 1:06 PM (#1928597 - in reply to #1928484)

Hall of Famer

ELEVEN - 2013-01-26 7:59 AM

Wow, that was fantastic.

Remind me not to bitch about fees later.

OCAngelsnotLAA
Posted 2013-01-27 12:32 AM (#1928827 - in reply to #1927587)

Arkansas Travelers

Jerry was at the Duck game tonight. Yelled "go angels" as he walked by me and he gave me a thumbs up and smile. Almost wasn't sure it was him because he looked so young.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-27 10:24 AM (#1928935 - in reply to #1928827)

Hall of Famer

OCAngelsnotLAA - 2013-01-27 12:32 AM

Jerry was at the Duck game tonight. Yelled "go angels" as he walked by me and he gave me a thumbs up and smile. Almost wasn't sure it was him because he looked so young.

I could totally see that. Jerry is such a great guy and passionate about the team he's running.

Never saw any of that from our past GM's, but maybe it just wasn't in their personality to be so friendly and passionate about the club toward others.
GregAlso
Posted 2013-01-28 10:01 PM (#1929724 - in reply to #1927587)

Loved the interview. When do we get to hear the off the record info? Also, loved that JeDi totally confirmed my article "JeDi mind-tricks and Angels Moneyball!"
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-28 10:08 PM (#1929728 - in reply to #1929724)

Hall of Famer

GregAlso - 2013-01-28 10:01 PM

Loved the interview. When do we get to hear the off the record info? Also, loved that JeDi totally confirmed my article "JeDi mind-tricks and Angels Moneyball!"

Greg, unfortunately, never here at AngelsWin.com.

We've built an amazing relationship with the Angels and we've done that by building trust over the years.

The Part II was some of the stuff that wasn't off the record after the video portion of the interview concluded. That and another one to be posted in April with a specific theme in mind with Dipoto. He'll be at our Spring Fanfest as well for a Q&A session with us too.

Good times ahead. One thing I can say with confidence is, Dipoto knows what he's doing.
IEAngelfan
Posted 2013-01-29 9:17 AM (#1929826 - in reply to #1927587)

All-Star

Just finished reading the interview. Excellent job!
Chuck Richter
Posted 2013-01-29 1:09 PM (#1929998 - in reply to #1929826)

Hall of Famer

IEAngelfan - 2013-01-29 9:17 AM

Just finished reading the interview. Excellent job!

Thanks! Though I'm weirded out by the number of plays thus far.

(DipotoVideo.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DipotoVideo.png (218KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)