AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I don’t always know what I’m talking about, but I know I’m right. - Muhammad Ali
- (Added by: Chilidaviseyez)

The Case Against Adrian Beltre
Moderators: tomsred, Adam, IEBRUIN, Bruce Nye, Kurt Swanson, Blarg, mancini79

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels DailyMessage format

Deek
Posted 2010-11-18 1:07 PM (#1090844 - in reply to #1090831)
Subject: Re: The Case Against Adrian Beltre

Big League Angels

mrwicked - 2010-11-18 12:50 PM

dude doesnt like to be pawed at.
i can respect that.
some kid in HS decided to give me a wet wlliy, knowing i didnt like fools touchin my ears, i turned around, broke his nose, then helped him to the nurses office and bought him some tacos for lunch that day.

Yeah - I hear ya... I just can't get my head around paying much $ to a guy who might go postal in the dugout... Kendry doesn't need another "freak" injury... And I don't see tacos fixing that problem...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ten Ocho Recon Scout
Posted 2010-11-19 9:28 PM (#1092116 - in reply to #1090844)

All-Star

The Beltre option reminds me of Beltran. I still feel like not getting him was huge for us way back when, when some felt he was too expensive, had turned it up for a contract year, etc. Fact is, had we signed him back then, we would have put someone on the team to support Vladdy for all those years, and more importantly, we would have avoided Steve Finley. We would have avoided GMJ. We would have avoided Torii. Now, dont get me wrong, I LOVE Torii, and am glad hes here. However, coupling up his contract WITH GMJ's, we way overpaid for CF all those years when Beltran would have been making Toriis money. Torii's money could have gone toward a bigger deal for someone else (Sabathia, Tex, Miggy Cabrera, etc).

Obviously Beltran has had injuries, but thats no guarentee they woyld have happenned playing here.

I dont think Beltre is a stud, or any 'better' than the other 'big 3' FA's. I just think that the lack of worthwhile 3B's is slim, and probably will be the next few years. And if Callaspo doesnt bounce back, we will be searching for a 3B again at some point this season, as well as next season.....and next, etc. I like Crawford and I like Werth. Neither are franchise types (neither is Beltre). But I think within the next year, two years, three years, there willl likely be more good corner outfielders than 3B's that we can grab.
Joseph
Posted 2010-11-19 11:01 PM (#1092145 - in reply to #1090794)

San Bernadino 66'ers

~MMP~ - 2010-11-18 12:02 PM

Beltre is a head case?

Do you have anything to back that up?

Ummm, he was in Seattle for 5 years, and we have had our share of head cases (Richie Sexson, Milton Bradley, Erik Bedard, and even Chone Figgins this past year), but Beltre was never one of them. He was friends with everyone from press reports, but Felix and him call each other Brothers. Not saying he doesn't have his moments, but that should be the least of the concerns for Beltre. He played on sucky teams in Seattle, if he can survive that, he can survive any Angel team.

What you are getting in Beltre most is defense. He is just amazing.

Edited by Joseph 2010-11-19 11:03 PM
EDinTUSTIN
Posted 2010-11-19 11:13 PM (#1092154 - in reply to #1092145)

Hall of Fame

Joseph - 2010-11-19 11:01 PM

~MMP~ - 2010-11-18 12:02 PM

Beltre is a head case?

Do you have anything to back that up?

Ummm, he was in Seattle for 5 years, and we have had our share of head cases (Richie Sexson, Milton Bradley, Erik Bedard, and even Chone Figgins this past year), but Beltre was never one of them. He was friends with everyone from press reports, but Felix and him call each other Brothers. Not saying he doesn't have his moments, but that should be the least of the concerns for Beltre. He played on sucky teams in Seattle, if he can survive that, he can survive any Angel team.

What you are getting in Beltre most is defense. He is just amazing.

From what I have always heard of him, he is a good community and clubhouse person, won't be found in police lineups and blotters, and is otherwise personable. He just plays ball.
Angels_for_life
Posted 2010-11-19 11:56 PM (#1092174 - in reply to #1090189)

Hall of Fame

Sign him to a one year, 20 million dollar contract every year. :P then it's always a contract year.
Angels_for_life
Posted 2010-11-20 12:15 AM (#1092179 - in reply to #1090189)

Hall of Fame

That, or make the contract HEAVY on incentives. Like, originally 10 million per year, and bump it up to 16-18 million if he reaches 25 homers with at least 90 RBI for that year.
VictoriousGhost
Posted 2010-11-20 12:32 AM (#1092181 - in reply to #1090189)

Hall of Fame

How many 100 OPS+ 3B are there available let alone 125 OPs+ 3B? If Callaspo ends up being a 100 OPS+ 3B, it'll either be because the earth's magnetic field was reversed or almost every other 3B just sucks. I don't see any other way that a 3B that is likely to post a .730-ish OPS with 10 home runs could be considered average at that position offensively
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-11-29 11:21 AM (#1096468 - in reply to #1090189)
Subject: RE: The Case Against Adrian Beltre

Hall of Famer

I found this while looking at our Facebook feed earlier from the OC Register.

Jonathan Northrup at AngelsWin tears apart Adrian Beltre's free agent case, in particular Scott Boras' claim that Torii Hunter's contract with the Angels is a model for Beltre: Let's take out the outliers—the two best seasons, which any person...

VictoriousGhost
Posted 2010-11-29 11:34 AM (#1096477 - in reply to #1090189)

Hall of Fame

Supply and demand. The talent pool available has dried up considerably over the last few years. So you are going to get mediocre players getting contracts only really good players used to get, and good players getting contracts only star players used to get.
Angel Oracle
Posted 2010-11-29 12:10 PM (#1096507 - in reply to #1096477)

Hall of Fame

As solid as Beltre is, and Boras must be using Beltre's road OPS in 2007, 2008, and 2010 like I do on here, no way do I pay him 5 years/$90 million.

I would (if GM) be willing to add a 4th season now for a total of $50-55 million, instead of 3 years/$36-39 million plus team option.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)