AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
AngelsWin.com Fan Forum
Search | Home | Chat | Blog | Store | Interviews | History Forums | Quotes | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it. ~Dick Allen, on artificial turf, 1970
- (Added by: Troll Daddy)

A to Z Angels: John Candelaria
Moderators: tomsred, Adam, IEBRUIN, Bruce Nye, Kurt Swanson, Blarg, mancini79

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   AngelsWin -> Los Angeles Angels DailyMessage format

Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-02-14 4:53 PM (#775611)
Subject: A to Z Angels: John Candelaria

Hall of Famer

Sunday, February 14, 2010

A to Z Angels: John Candelaria

Name: John Candelaria             
Nickname: The Candy Man
Position: Starting Pitcher
Throws: Left
Bats:  Left                                                    
Number(s): 45, 49

Years Played As an Angel: 1985-1987
Angels’ Stats: 25-11, 3.77 ERA, 279.1 IPs, 208 Strikeouts
Career Stats: 177-122, 3.33 ERA, 2525.2 IPs, 1673 Strikeouts

How He Was Acquired: Candelaria was part of a six-player trade with the Pittsburgh Pirates on August 3, 1986. He arrived with pitcher Al Holland and outfielder George Hendrick in exchange for outfielder Mike Brown, pitcher Pat Clements and a player to be named later.

Why You Should Know Him: Candelaria was the winning pitcher in a 5-3 victory over the Red Sox that gave the Angels a 2-1 series lead in their 1986 ALCS matchup, but he took the loss in an 8-1 defeat in Game Seven. He later had a very public spat with former Angels teammate Don Sutton, claiming Sutton had called the police to tip them off before they arrested Candelaria for the first of two DUIs in 1987. Candelaria claimed that Sutton was trying to save his own job by getting Candelaria arrested.

Memorable Moments/Games: Candelaria was a key pickup for the Angels in 1986, finishing with a 10-2 record, a 2.55 ERA and one shutout in 16 starts. His first three starts for the Angels were a 14-3 win over Milwaukee, a 12-3 win over Boston and a 9-3 win over Toronto. His 8-3 win over Texas clinched the American League West for the Angels, giving them a 10-game cushion with nine games left.  

Anecdotes and Quotes: Candelaria stood 6’7” and his fastball was clocked in the high 90s during the early part of his career. Originally scouted by the Dodgers, he was in line to sign with them until he appeared at a tryout wearing a shirt that had a marijuana leaf on it and the caption “try some, you’ll like it.” The Dodgers loss was the Pirates gain. Candelaria later threw a no-hitter against the Dodgers in 1976. 

Where is He Now?:  Candelaria lives in Davidson, N.C. and is an avid world traveler.

Contributed by Brett Borden - AngelsWin.com Columnist
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-02-14 4:55 PM (#775612 - in reply to #775611)
Subject: RE: A to Z Angels: John Candelaria

Hall of Famer

The Candy Man Can!!

Check out the striking resemblance between the Candy man and Pedro. LOL

http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Cards/004/865/09F.jpg

http://www.drafthouse.com/cart/images/pedro-sanchez.jpg

RevaD
Posted 2010-02-14 5:09 PM (#775616 - in reply to #775611)
Subject: Re: A to Z Angels: John Candelaria

Big League Angels

That's what we called him, the Candy Man. The dude could pitch and the trade made sense, even to me. I didn't understand things this way then (and that says as much about the evolution of the game as my growing up), but it must have been a Pirates salary dump. Candy was a stud pitcher the Angels dealt for when they needed him and Hendricks still could hit as well. Holland was a good toss in.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-02-14 5:14 PM (#775622 - in reply to #775611)
Subject: RE: A to Z Angels: John Candelaria

Hall of Famer

The good thing about these A to Z Angels feature is that I learn something new about each and every one of these guys with each Blog post.

I did not know this about the Candy Man. 

"Originally scouted by the Dodgers, he was in line to sign with them until he appeared at a tryout wearing a shirt that had a marijuana leaf on it and the caption “try some, you’ll like it.” The Dodgers loss was the Pirates gain. Candelaria later threw a no-hitter against the Dodgers in 1976."

RevaD
Posted 2010-02-14 5:16 PM (#775623 - in reply to #775611)

Big League Angels

If we could find him as a 18 y/o he'd be signed in a minute. Nowadays with the right management the dude would be worth a fortune. Does he have any kids?
RevaD
Posted 2010-02-14 5:24 PM (#775624 - in reply to #775611)

Big League Angels

Maybe the Angels wouldn't take him now, because of the marijuana? Let's take 10 major league pitchers that have back or shoulder pain, give them medical marijuana (deadly stuff) and compare them with a similar group not given the pot. The control group would have to be tested for marijuana regularly.

To make it worthwhile all the athletes involved in the study would have to abstain from other presecription drugs not including caffeine, alcohol and over the counter mediations.
Chuck Richter
Posted 2010-02-14 5:34 PM (#775629 - in reply to #775623)

Hall of Famer

RevaD - 2/14/2010 5:16 PM If we could find him as a 18 y/o he'd be signed in a minute. Nowadays with the right management the dude would be worth a fortune. Does he have any kids?

A tragedy happened to his son when he was a member of the Angels. The 2 1/2 year old John Robert Candelaria Jr. died after being in a coma since Christmas Day of 1984, he passed at the Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh later on November 14th, 1985. John Candelaria's son had been in a coma since a swimming-pool accident at the Candelaria winter home in Florida.

Sad.

He's left with a wife (Donna) and daughter (Amber).

RevaD
Posted 2010-02-14 5:39 PM (#775630 - in reply to #775611)

Big League Angels

I didn't recall that, or I wouldn't have asked. Losing a child is a terrible thing to deal with. If I were a scout I'd take Amber out for a cup of coffee.
mtangelsfan
Posted 2010-02-15 3:26 PM (#775900 - in reply to #775630)

When I was re-habbing my broken wrist, my physical trainer was Roger Thomas who used to be the Angels' trainer.  He would tell me stories about the team.  He said that after the 86 loss, Mauch totally lost the team in 87.  That the players would just mock him during travel times.  He was telling me how Candelaria would actually throw stuff at Gene.

Kind of sad.

SCHalo
Posted 2010-02-15 3:37 PM (#775908 - in reply to #775900)

Orem Owlz

I didn't know Mauch coached the team in 87. I thought he retired just like he did after the 82 debacle.
mtangelsfan
Posted 2010-02-15 3:42 PM (#775911 - in reply to #775908)

Nope, he was actually set to manage the team in 88 but had to retire due to poor health.
SCHalo
Posted 2010-02-15 4:23 PM (#775938 - in reply to #775911)

Orem Owlz

The only years I really remember are the ones in which we were in the race, and the recent ones, of course. Like, I know that 97 and 98 were both late season fades, but they kind of blend together in my memory. What was the year where our team chemistry was beyond terrible? Was that 2000?
Angel Oracle
Posted 2010-02-15 11:18 PM (#776086 - in reply to #775938)

Hall of Fame

That's 2 standouts the Raviners lost to Pittsburgh (Clemente as a rule 5 and Candelaria). That alone deserves a bunch of....  

It was right around the time of the 1 day strike as the players and owners hammered out a new deal. That deal helped the team for 1985 and 1986, as veteran Hendrick also contributed in those seasons. Brown and Clements never did much of anything anyway.

Angel Oracle
Posted 2010-02-15 11:23 PM (#776091 - in reply to #775938)

Hall of Fame

SCHalo - 2010-02-15 4:23 PM

The only years I really remember are the ones in which we were in the race, and the recent ones, of course. Like, I know that 97 and 98 were both late season fades, but they kind of blend together in my memory. What was the year where our team chemistry was beyond terrible? Was that 2000?

1999, when Terry Collins and Larry Bowa totally lost control of the team.
Joe Madden actually did a yeomen job replacing the fired Collins, leading them to a 17-12 record after being 53-80. His one negative, and not even a bad one because it was September, was benching 6 regulars against the Twins one day and then seeing Eric Milton no hit the Angels.
Until September 1, that was going to be possibly the worst season in franchise history.
Amazing that they have never lost more than 96 games in a season for any of their first 49 seasons. No other MLB franchise can make that claim.

Edited by Angel Oracle 2010-02-15 11:26 PM
SCHalo
Posted 2010-02-16 6:32 AM (#776154 - in reply to #776091)

Orem Owlz

Angel Oracle - 2010-02-15 11:23 PM

SCHalo - 2010-02-15 4:23 PM

1999, when Terry Collins and Larry Bowa totally lost control of the team.
Joe Madden actually did a yeomen job replacing the fired Collins, leading them to a 17-12 record after being 53-80. His one negative, and not even a bad one because it was September, was benching 6 regulars against the Twins one day and then seeing Eric Milton no hit the Angels.
Until September 1, that was going to be possibly the worst season in franchise history.
Amazing that they have never lost more than 96 games in a season for any of their first 49 seasons. No other MLB franchise can make that claim.

Not even the Yankee-my-Wankees?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Registered to: Angelswin.com
(Delete all cookies set by this site)